WELCOME! Thank you for deciding to take the time to read or look over my blog. I hope you enjoy looking over my work today. You are more than welcomed to leave comments on my posts and I will reply to you as soon as possible. Take care!

Thursday, October 20, 2011

"Tools That Change The Way We Think"

"Back in 2004, I asked [Google founders] Page and Brin what they saw as the future of Google search. 'It will be included in people's brains,' said Page. 'When you think about something and don't really know much about it, you will automatically get information.'

'That's true,' said Brin. 'Ultimately I view Google as a way to augment your brain with the knowledge of the world. Right now you go into your computer and type a phrase, but you can imagine that it could be easier in the future, that you can have just devices you talk into, or you can have computers that pay attention to what's going on around them and suggest useful information.'

'Somebody introduces themselves to you, and your watch goes to your web page,' said Page. 'Or if you met this person two years ago, this is what they said to you... Eventually you'll have the implant, where if you think about a fact, it will just tell you the answer."

-From In the Plex by Steven Levy (p.67)

My Thoughts:


      Extensive Internet/media/technology use changes the way I think for many reasons. I think that the more technology comes out or is improved the less we all make use our brains. We don't necessarily have to think for ourselves anymore because all around us there are things that do it for us. Technology not only affects the amount of thinking that I do but also the concentration level I have when trying to complete school work or other things of importance. I always get on the computer thinking , "Okay, I'm going to complete my homework within an hour and be able to go to bed." Guess what? Doesn't happen, ever. I always get distracted with Facebook or other interesting websites that have nothing to do with my homework.I think that it's not only the internet but all technology in general that becomes a waste of my time because I don't use the tools to learn and when I do, it's only to get a quick answer on something, never to spend time actually learning something in depth. Older people who did their learning before smart phones and 2.0 existed are full of knowledge that I have at my fingertips and don't bother trying to learn about it. I have talked to elders and even the way they speak sounds smarter than today's generation. They actually had to use their brains to their full capacity to learn things back in time because no computer or phone was there to do the thinking for them. People who don't use the technology there is today and actually care about the amount of knowledge they have and an education read a lot and have their time and priorities set in order and actually follow through because they don't put their focus on technology. I read an article titled, "Leadership by the New Generation" and it was interesting to see what leaders that are going through retirement are worried about. They say that today's generation is basically lazy and always looking for more "me time". "They want flexible hours, more vacation time, continuous training, and telecommuting options. They expect to leverage technology to work efficiently instead of staying late in the office to get it all done.", this is what article says today's generation's mind is on constantly and I completely agree because I've heard people around my age or mid 20's complain about work and hardships in life when in reality what they go through is not much but they are so used to the easy life that when something "hard" comes up in life, they freak out and complain. Ttechnology may be used for good by some but for the majority of today's generation it is used for entertainment and wasting time.

Article URL: http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newLDR_59.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment