WELCOME! Thank you for deciding to take the time to read or look over my blog. I hope you enjoy looking over my work today. You are more than welcomed to leave comments on my posts and I will reply to you as soon as possible. Take care!

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

"In Search Of"

Experience with video:


a)I learned that we all have filter bubbles and that our searches get tailored making our information be different from someone else doing the exact same search.
b)This inforamtion makes me think differetnly about what I see online becasue it makes me realize that we don't have all the information there is out there at the end of our finger tips, we only have the information search engines want us to see.
c) The questions this raised for me over the Internet in general are:
-Why do search engines tailor individuals' searches?
When will the Internet stop using filter bubbles?
-How are my searches information different from that of someone else doing the exact same search but getting different results? Is it less useful? Or more useful?
d)To improve the effectiveness of my searches I can use different phrases and words to search the same thing as well as use multiple search engines to make my results more accurate and to feel like I collected most of the information there is out there to know.




Summary of research re-done:


     Yesterday, I had researched on who Shakespeare really was and the information that is known about his life. I used Google and typed in "Shakespeare biography timeline" and "Shakespeare biography" and I got results from sites like eNotes and SparkNotes because I go on those sites quite often to help me with other homework. It was intriguing to see how Google knew what sites I use more often and there for made them the top results for my search. Today i went back onto Google and typed in "history on Shakespeare" and "What proof of Shakespeare's work is there?" and the difference in the information I received in today from yesterday was amazing to see. To make my search results as accurate as possible I also used the search engine Yahoo! and when I typed in the exact same phrases as I had on Google my results differed. The video helped me understand why I get the search results I do and a better idea as to why we need to go to different resources when making research.

No comments:

Post a Comment