WELCOME! Thank you for deciding to take the time to read or look over my blog. I hope you enjoy looking over my work today. You are more than welcomed to leave comments on my posts and I will reply to you as soon as possible. Take care!

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Literary Term: Apostrophe

Apostrophe:


  • A figure of speech in which some absent or nonexistent person or thing is addressed as if present and capable of understanding.
  •  the addressing of a usually absent person or a usually personified thing rhetorically 
Examples:
  1. “O Liberty, what things are done in thy name!”
  2. "Oh! Stars and clouds and winds, ye are all about to mock me; if ye really pity me, crush sensation and memory; let me become as nought; but if not, depart, depart, and leave me in darkness."
  3. (Mary Shelley, Frankenstein, 1818)
  4. "Bright star, would I were steadfast as thou art"
  5. (John Keats)
Video:
-Example of song with apostrophe (the star)
"Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are.
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky."

2 comments:

  1. Once again this video was great it took me back to the old days, but at the same time it helped me memorize this term.
    one question can the person or thing ever respond when it is addressed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Tati, this was an excellent video that has represented the term well. I honestly would have never compared the two simply because I never knew the song was actually a apostrophe!

    ReplyDelete